Print out .pdf form and submit online or by mail!
Joe P Cardinal Bursary/Internship Award
Aboriginal Multi Media Society / Windspeaker CFWE Radio
AMMSA is pleased to offer an annual Bursary/Internship Award to an Indigenous student to further their education in communications and/or media. This Bursary is intended to assist students in the 2nd or subsequent years of a degree/certificate program in a multi-media discipline.
The Bursary is named to honour Joe P. Cardinal; Elder, AMMSA Board Member and leader who believed communications was key to a greater understanding between people and cultures.
Applicants MUST Be:
- First Nations, Inuit or Métis, hold permanent Canadian resident status and reside in Alberta.
- Enrolled in the 2nd year (or beyond) of a Canadian post-secondary MULTI MEDIA Program or Equivalent Certified Training Program (as recognized by Alberta Learning)and be able to produce a transcript of grades from the 1st year
- Available to participate in a 4 week internship program at AMMSA at the completion of the school year relevant to their chosen discipline (There is an opportunity for a 4 month paid internship program for the applicant )
- Interested in acting as an ambassador for the MEDIA industry and serving as a role model for other Indigenous people to encourage them to pursue careers in multi-media including journalism, broadcasting or publishing
One bursary valued at $ 4,000 will be awarded each year. This award may be applied to academic and/or living costs. An additional $1,000 will be awarded for participation in the Internship program.
Bursary winners may be eligible for continued scholarship awards each year they continue in the approved programs in the amount of $2,500 annually to a maximum of $10,000
The Selection Committee of the AMMSA management team will grade each application on the criteria outlined
Completed applications forms an accompanying information must be received no later than September 30, 2022 (late or incomplete applications will NOT be accepted).
Joe P Cardinal Bursary Award
City: _________________ Province:______ Postal Code: ____________
Phone#: ____________________ Cell Phone: ____________________
Name of institution of certified training program you are currently attending, enrolled in or have applied to, and Diploma/Certificate Name:
Please provide the following in support of you application:
- Proof of First Nations, Inuit or Métis status, Canadian resident status and reside in Alberta
- Completed application form
- Proof of application into second (or subsequent) year of a Canadian Multi Media Program or Certified Training Program (proof of enrollment MUST be provided prior to receiving award)
- Transcript of marks from the 1st year
- 2 letters of reference from two different fields (ie work, community, school) which are relevant to the nature of the bursary. References should be non-relatives (Full contact information is required)
- One page typewritten statement / essay outlining your career goals, why you want to work in the communication industry, how this scholarship would affect your goals, how you feel you can affect your community through your career in media and any other information that you feel is relevant top this application
- Any other relevant documents or materials, such as published articles, audio/visual projects etc. that you feel will strengthen your application
I declare that the information supplied in this application is true (All information will be kept confidential and used only for the purpose of selecting the bursary winner)
I agree to allow Windspeaker Media to use my photo and name for promotional purposes and will be available for an interview.
Deadline for submissions: September 30, 2022
Please submit to: Selection Committee
Joe P Cardinal Bursary
c/o Windspeaker Media
13245 – 146 Street
Edmonton, AB T5L 4S8
On-line : email@example.com