News Reporter (Alberta): Windspeaker.com
Windspeaker.com/CFWE-FM is seeking a full-time, enthusiastic Community News Reporter with a strong work ethic and a desire to report on Alberta-based stories that will inform and engage our readers online and our listeners on air. This is a unique multi-platform opportunity based in Edmonton and reporting to the News Director.
The reporter will produce daily news copy and features for online publishing, while also feeding on-air news. The successful candidate is expected to travel to communities across the province to cover events and press gatherings and capture compelling photographs, as well as produce audio clips and copy for radio, with on-air reports while on location.
Duties will include:
- Travel throughout Alberta, including communities on reserve and Metis settlements, to report on events, often outside of structured work hours, and including weekends.
- Evaluate news tips and seek out news stories, develop sources, including leaders and community influencers, vet information and write to feed online news.
- Some on-air reporting required.
- Report on and photograph everything from sporting events to cultural activities involving Indigenous peoples.
- Prepare news stories in a timely manner to meet daily deadlines.
- Work as a team, with the ability to move with urgency on breaking news.
- Diploma or degree in journalism with professional news reporting experience.
- Radio experience considered an asset.
- Excellent research and reporting skills, working independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of Indigenous issues, perspectives and concerns. Able to relate and respond to people where they are at, from the socially marginalized to the powerful and privileged.
- Able to produce visual content with proficiency.
- Computer literate with knowledge of windows-based programs.
- Valid driver’s license with clean abstract required.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as necessary in the performance of the position and as assigned by the News Director.
- Must provide acceptable references.
Apply by sending your cover letter and resume. Please include copies of your published written work, and 30-second (minimum) radio clip if available.
Send to: The Aboriginal Multi-Media Society, Attention: News Director mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
(We regret that we will only respond to those applicants chosen for an interview. We thank all applicants for their interest. Pursuant to Section 16 (1) of the Canadian Human Rights Act, preference will be given to Aboriginal candidates who have a strong working knowledge of Indigenous culture and values.)
Notice of Application: Grassy Mountain Coal Project
CCA Applications No. 1844520 and 1902073 EPEA Applications No. 001-403427 WA Applications No. 001-00403428, 001-00403429, 001-00403430 and 001-00403431 PLA Applications No. MSL160757, MSL160758, LOC160841, LOC160842 and LOC970943