Indigenous Engagement Specialist, Unlimited Potential Community Services (Edmonton/Stony Plain Area, AB)
FULL-TIME INDIGENOUS ENGAGEMENT SPECIALIST
Edmonton/Stony Plain Area, AB
Unlimited Potential Community Services (UP) is a non-profit charitable society that has been providing quality support and treatment since 1987. Our goal is to restore stability and hope in the lives of children, youth, adults, and families so they can achieve personal independence and family unity.
Program overview: Our Indigenous Resources are designed to provide a Holistic approach in working with children and families. We recognize the need for children, individuals and families to be connected to their culture and maintain ties to their family, ancestors and community.
Position overview: Reporting to the Indigenous Engagement Lead, the Indigenous Engagement Specialist will be responsible for engaging families, community and organization’s staff in culturally enhanced programming. The Engagement Specialist will be responsible for working collaboratively with families and our Family Specialists to ensure families are connected to culture and community.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Knowledge and understanding of Indigenous culture, customs and beliefs;
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate and/or assist in cultural training/ceremonies, Sacred Family Circles and Family Group Conferences;
- Understanding of current and emerging issues of importance to Indigenous people and communities;
- Knowledge of Indigenous language (s) will be a definite asset;
- Good understanding of health issues affecting youth and adults, such as FASD, drug and alcohol addictions, intergenerational trauma, mental health, suicide and other mental and behavioural issues;
- Good understanding of cultural differences and how they impact treatment approaches for children and youth;
- Good verbal and written communication skills with proven organizational and documentation skills;
- Previous experience working with children, youth and families would be a definite asset.
- Willing to work flexible hours that meet the needs of the children/families including evenings and weekends.
Qualifications/Experience: A diploma/degree in Indigenous Studies or Human Services disciplines would be an asset; however, a combination of formal and informal training will be honored and considered. Demonstrated experience and/or knowledge in the coordination, facilitation and leading of Family Group Conferences and Family Circles is a mandatory requirement of the position. Previous experience to facilitate and/or assist in cultural training/ceremonies is preferred. Please note: If education is in Social Work, the candidate must be registered Social Worker with the Alberta College of Social Workers (ACSW).
Other requirements: A current, clear Police Information Check, Intervention Record Check (within 6 months), valid driver’s license (minimum class 5), current abstract and vehicle are all required.
Salary & Benefits: Annual Salary: $53,075.00 - $65,000.00. Salary commensurate with experience and education. We also provide full-time employees with a 100% employer paid health benefits package (which includes vision, dental and prescription drug coverage, massage therapy, etc.) a 100% employer paid RRSP equaling 3% of annual salary, and a flexible schedule. We also offer free courses and workshops in-house for all of our employees.
Our values are integrity, respect, excellence, humility and relationships. If you meet the entrance criteria, hold similar values and are looking to join a dynamic team that works hard to empower and support children, youth and families, please submit your resume and cover letter to Human Resources at email@example.com.
UP is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a safe, inclusive environment for people of all cultures and backgrounds; all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Unlimited Potential Community Services empowers individuals and families to reach their full potential and enhance community well-being.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.