FASD Community Advocate, Unlimited Potential Community Services (Edmonton, AB)
“0.7 FTE (28 hrs/week) FASD COMMUNITY ADVOCATE” (OPEN ARMS)
Unlimited Potential Community Services (UP) is a non-profit charitable society that has been providing quality support and treatment since 1987. Our goal is to restore stability and hope in the lives of children, youth, adults, and families so they can achieve personal independence and family unity. UP believes cultural tradition is an important part of mental wellness, so we incorporate the culture and traditions of our clients wherever possible. UP invites applicants who are passionate about providing quality support to our clients through a culturally sensitive approach and helping us to work together towards our goal to support each child and family to reach their full potential.
Program/Position overview: We are currently looking for an individual who has a passion for working with adults with FASD (men and/or women). Successful candidates must also be willing to act as a supportive advocate and mentor. Collaboration and advocacy with other professionals to develop plans that will assist our clients in being successful in meeting their goals.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team, demonstrating strong interpersonal, organizational, time-management and communication (oral and written) skills
- An understanding of FASD and the secondary disabilities of individuals affected by FASD
- Knowledge and understanding of Indigenous culture, customs and beliefs
- Understanding of current and emerging issues of importance to Indigenous people and communities
- Have strong advocacy skills with the ability to maintain high level of professionalism under stress
- Possess good conflict resolution skills, be results oriented, a team player and positive role model for others
- The ability to identify the issues that surround poverty and demonstrate an extensive knowledge of resources and supports within the Edmonton area
- High degree of resourcefulness, flexibility and adaptability
Qualifications/Experience: A diploma/degree in Human Services (if education is in Social Work, must be registered Social Worker with the Alberta College of Social Workers), plus 1-3 years combined experience working in community outreach programs is preferred. Equivalences will be considered.
Other requirements: A clear Alberta Police Information Check (vulnerable sector included) and Intervention Record Check (both within six months), a valid Alberta driver’s licence (minimum class 5), a clear driver's abstract (less than 6 demerit points), a reliable vehicle to be used for work purposes with $1 million dollars insurance and must be confident with city and rural driving. Must be willing to work flexible hours within a 40 hour work week.
Salary & Benefits: Salary range is $29,586.00 - $43,114.00 annually (salary commensurate with education and experience). We also provide full-time employees with a 100% employer paid health benefits package (which includes vision, dental and prescription drug coverage, massage therapy, etc.) a 100% employer paid RRSP equaling 3% of annual salary, and a flexible schedule. We also offer free courses and workshops in-house for all of our employees.
Closing date: December 7th, 2018
Our values are integrity, respect, excellence, humility and relationships. If you meet the entrance criteria, hold similar values and are looking to join a dynamic team that works hard to empower and support children, youth and families, please submit your resume and cover letter to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out an Application here.
UP is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a safe, inclusive environment for people of all cultures and backgrounds; all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Unlimited Potential Community Services empowers individuals and families to reach their full potential and enhance community well-being.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.